Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Working the Christmas Countdown

Conversation this morning with The Captain upon seeing new presents under the tree:

Captain: Can we open them after breakfast?

Me: Not until Christmas.

Captain: There are only nine days until Christmas?

Me: Um, today is the 15th, so (counting on my fingers) 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25--that is eleven days.

Captain: No. It is nine.

Me: Okay, no fair counting Christmas since it basically starts at the crack of dawn, but since it is the crack of dawn now, today should count, so it is at least 10.

Captain: No. It is nine.

At which point I realize that:
  1. I am debating Christmas with a four- (almost five-) year old and, really, do I think I am going to win that one?
  2. It doesn't matter to me (other than I am short on days to get everything done that needs to get done by Christmas) . . . but it really does to him.
  3. Perhaps he will grow up to be a state budget officer who realizes that you control what counts as the fiscal calendar and if you just adjust the calendar by a day, you can argue that your budget is balanced (at least until next year).
And, so my life continues to be a weird combination of family and work.

No comments:

Post a Comment