Thursday, November 19, 2009

Not Judging an Album by Its Cover: Apparently the Only Hope for Many Female Jazz Artists

So College Roomy keeps asking me about what jazz I am listening to (and buying) these days. I pointed out that not all that long ago, I posted in the now retired Room some of the reasons I think I don't buy as much jazz as other music, but that doesn't mean I don't pick up anything new. And really, I am ready to post on a few new albums, but let me get this point out of the way separately so it doesn't distract from the music-oriented post (which will include commentary on these albums with regard to the actual music).

To understand where I am coming from, you have to check out these album covers. The first is Dutch jazz pianist Amina Figarova.


And then we have award-winning vocalist Gretchen Parlato.


My question is simple. Why do talented (and they are) women continue to allow whoever to put out their albums with such awful covers? I don't even just mean it in the sense of the objectification factor (which these do)--these are just bad, really bad, covers (they are going to end up here at some point). They make you think the albums were released 30 or 40 years ago. What is the excuse now--both from the selling the woman standpoint or the smart marketing standpoint? I fear I know. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment